Thursday, October 23, 2008

Perfect Moments

Ever since I become a mom, I have caught myself appreciating many "perfect moments." Moments I never thought about, or else I took for granted, before Taylor. Now, when I find myself in the middle of one of these "perfect moments" I stop, take a breath, and hope it will last forever. I immerse myself in that moment, even if lasts just a few seconds, and I lock that memory away somewhere special. In the past 18 months, some of my "perfect moments" were:

  • Watching Taylor, at 10 days old, lay on his Daddy's chest and sleep peacefully
  • Rocking Taylor and singing a lullaby (okay, this is usually one of these moments that only lasts a few seconds these days because he is such a big boy now and not so much into rocking with Mama!)
  • When I nursed Taylor, that few minutes of peace and quiet that my boy was still and I could look at his tiny fingers and toes.
  • Watching my "baby" sit in Dan's lap and read books together every night at bedtime
  • Lying on the floor with Taylor's head and my head side-by-side every evening and looking up at the ceiling, the fan and the lights while singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider."

No, these moments do not last forever...but the fact that they happen at all is enough.

3 comments:

Erin said...

great post....I feel the same way. I love sitting with him at night after a crazy day of being a grown up and not having a care in the world when I look at it through Nate's eyes. Being a mommy is a beautiful thing. :)

Karen said...

Treasure all those moments....they are fleeting. Nothing in life is as meaningful (to me, anyway) as the relationship between a parent and their child. Even after that child is an adult!

Anonymous said...

Such a good post all mom's can relate to. My favorite time w/ Gracyn, believe it or not, is first thing in the morning - she's cuddly, happy, kissy and all the things I enjoy waking up to. It's just she and I in her dark room with the nightlight barely showing our faces while we have some priceless bonding time!