I find it interesting that when someone does not speak much, it becomes easier to assume that person cannot "understand" what you are saying...so you fall into the trap of running your mouth too much! That is pretty much the case with Taylor right now...his receptive language is great. When I say "do you want this banana?" or "go to the bedroom" or "where is the dog?", he knows and shakes his head or points correctly. But he does not actually vocalize words yet...besides the occasional "ball", "mama", "daddy" or "dog." Which is why I let my guard down! I find myself cussing at the football game, Dan, or the vacuum assuming that since Taylor does not talk much, he will not understand what I am saying. But I have heard stories from friends who have 2-year olds and now I know that my assumption is naive and Taylor is actually soaking up EVERYTHING that I say. So in the future when I ask him "what does Mama say", I am guessing he will probably answer "Damn it!" Uh oh.
Happy weekend, everyone...
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It is amazing how much they absorb at such a young age ... and usually it's the bad stuff they pick up.
Just an observation - sometimes one doesn't talk because someone else is talking so much they either don't feel like they need to or they can't get a chance to talk. I'm sure that isn't the case with Taylor though.
hmmmm....hard to believe, but i'll have to agree with your daddy on this one!!!
Post a Comment