Thursday, October 23, 2008

Goodbye, Good Dog

I just rec'd the sad news that my dog nephew, Preston Wheeler, is going to be leaving this world tomorrow morning. He is 14 years old now, I think and old age has finally hit him too hard. My sister and her husband are very upset right now and I can understand because Preston is truly a good dog, in every sense of the word. I have many happy memories of Prestonian (his nickname). I remember...

  • When Ami gave him to Doug so many years ago - he was the cutest yellow puppy you ever saw! Such a good-looking dog.

  • The sniffing-out games Doug used to play with him...Doug could hide a treat anywhere in the room and then call to Preston and I swear, Preston would find it in seconds flat! Such a smart dog.

  • When my sister would bathe him, afterward she would spread a sheet on the floor and he would run to the sheet and fling himself into and roll around hysterically for a few minutes! Such a funny dog.

  • When Ami was 8 months pregnant with Harris and we took Preston to the beach. Oh my, as soon as he smelled the water, he took off, dragging Ami with him until he reached the water. Then he just swimmed back and forth parallel to the coast for about an hour like he did not have a care in the world! Such a determined dog.

  • When the kids were born, Preston was the most gentle and tolerant dog you have ever seen. Harris and Wrenn would roll on him, crawl on him, sit on him and hug him over and over and over again and never once did Preston even seem to mind! Such a patient dog.

  • When Ami and Doug went on their honeymoon, I kept Preston at my house for a week. Every night, he would lie down on the floor beside me and I would put my spare pillow under his head and cover him with a blanket. Such a loved dog.

Preston Wheeler...such a good dog. He will be missed.


3 comments:

daddy said...

Preston kind of reminds me of Ole Yeller - looks like him too. We'll all miss Preston.

Karen said...

Our beloved pets always leave us too soon, but leave so many wonderful memories behind. I'll never forget Doug's face when he peered into that HUGE Christmas bag and saw that precious little pup...and all he THOUGHT he was getting was a dog bowl, treats, toys, etc, for a dog he would be getting "sometime soon". I knew when we put him down in that bag and he never uttered a word (as if he was saying "i won't spoil your surprise"), that he was going to grow into a terrific dog. And, he did. And so very, very much more...

Rest well, dear Preston. You will be sorely missed by many people.

Karen said...

My wonderful dogs, Rusty, Sassy, Chance, Rosie,and Duke met Preston at the Rainbow Bridge and have included him in their wonderful runs, there in forever land....
Ann Craig