Monday, July 23, 2012

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

We played a lot of baseball this weekend - we have been having family baseball games pretty much every evening before bed...so while we were out there, I took some pics of some of my favorite colorful plants in our yard....the Bird of Paradise are definitely my favorite tropical flower so I love having my own now!
On the way back into the house, I decided to snap a pic of T's room...in its raw form. And this it is - in all its honest glory! It makes me laugh to remember that when I was pregnant, I had some idea that I would never allow my kid to play with more than one toy at a time - I would make him return one toy to his "toy library" and check out a new toy. As I have said before...back then I was the BEST PARENT who had never actually been one. I realize that some people would never allow their kid to keep a room this messy...my father is one of them. We were always being told to clean our rooms when we were younger. I understand and respect some parents' need for that kind of order and organization. They probably make their beds every day too. :) For me, as a parent, I see Taylor's room like this - covered in cars and race track and books and action figures cards and crayons and coloring books - and I think it is a room well-played-in and much-loved. One day, I think I will pass this room and it will no longer have these obvious symbols of childhood scattered askew and yes, I think I will miss it. Will my kid ever have a perfectly organized room or house of his own? Maybe, maybe not....like I said, I was made to clean my room and make my bed every day as a kid and now neither are top priorities in my life. I guess my main purpose in posting this picture is that it is authentic and totally where we are right now and in some probably-warped way, it makes me smile. But for those of you cringing, you will be happy to know that we did clean it up last night and generally try to get it organized at least once a week. :)



Yesterday afternoon, I went to Cocoa Beach and met some of my girlfriends and fellow mamas at Coconuts for some drinks and late lunch...they had all just returned from a 3-day Bahamas cruise so it was fun to see all the pics and get the scoop. You gotta have friends. And I am lucky enough to have some awesome ones!

2 comments:

daddy said...

Reminds me of your and Ami's "play room". Not just messy and unorganized, but nasty!

Beautiful flowers, also.

Ami said...

Daddy- I remember the playroom, I don't even think you could see the floor!