Friday, September 19, 2008

Helicopter Parenting

So I read this online news article yesterday (I can hear my dad groaning right now about how I analyze and worry too much) about a common mistake parents make...it's called "Helicopter Parenting" and apparently it's not a good thing. Basically a Helicopter Parent is one who hovers around their kids all the time waiting for a moment to swoop down and make things right or correct a problem for their children. Experts say we should not do this but instead let our kids cope with this issue themselves. For instance, if your kid runs to you from the playground whining "mommy, that other boy will not let me play with him" you are supposed to tell him to play with someone else or work it out on his own. Whereas a "helicopter parent" would rush in and work things out between their kid and the other kid. A helicopter parent is also the one who would call the college or university to request a new dorm roommate for their kid after their kid calls home complaining that their roommate is messy or snores all night. I recognize what they are saying but as a mom to a one-year old, I kinda feel like helicopter parenting is the natural instinct of a parent - the instinct to make things better when your kid needs help or is hurting. I am sure there is a fine line and a balance you can reach. As Taylor gets older, I know I will always struggle with one basic truth I have discovered about parenthood - the best thing for your child is often the hardest thing for the parent!! I do not know if I am a helicopter parent, an airplane parent, or a spaceship parent....I just know I want to be a GOOD parent.

3 comments:

daddy said...

I'm gonna try one more time

d

daddy said...

I think it worked!

As I was saying - responsibility is the key to parenting. One cannot protect their child from the real life consequences of failed responsibility.

d

daddy said...

You won't be a helicopter parent, but believe me in all my years of education, I have seen a bunch. The common sense parents hurt when their children experience any adversity, but they don't "bail them out" at every opportunity....they support and guide but don't do it for them. I have no doubt or worry about you and Dan....if I see you "swooping" in, I'll keep my mouth shut....no, not really. No need to worry, I promise....Pam speaks!