When I was pregnant, Dan and I used to talk about the one most important trait we would instill in our child, if given the opportunity to only choose ONE. Dan always said self-confidence which I agree is important. I always said tolerance - tolerance for other people's differences and uniqueness.
But lately when I am rocking Taylor for that few minutes before bed and he is snuggled into my shoulder, I am overcome with emotion and love for my child and I find myself thinking "I want to give this kid the world." And that emotion feels natural for a parent...of course, I want to give my kid the world - I want to give him everything! But I found myself pondering that emotion more in-depth today and I came to the conclusion that no, I actually do not want to give Taylor the world; I want HIM to give TO the world. I think the net gain for him, and the community, is much greater in that situation. Does that make sense? I want to raise and guide Taylor in a way where he is not constantly wondering what he can GET from the world but what he can GIVE. I am not sure of many things as a mother but I am pretty sure of this.
So I guess I will change my answer next time Dan and I talk about what the most important trait to instill in a child is...I believe it's the consciousness of looking outward...the effort to realize that what is good for the greater community is ultimately best for each of us as human beings sharing a world. Tolerance is actually a key part of this worldview I want for my child so maybe I do not have to change my answer after all!
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
MaryBeth you are such a wonderful mother!! I sit in awe of your perspective and it is sooo inspiring. . . Taylor is blessed beyond measure.
Once upon a time there was another mother named Mary who had the same thoughts.
Post a Comment