Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pickles!





T has really been into pickles lately...so it occurred to me to ask him if he knew where pickles came from....he said CELERY!!!  What the what?!?!  Celery does not even have seeds!  Blew my mind and inspired me to have one of my impromptu "Where Does our Food Come From?" lessons... 
 
Started with fresh cukes which I had the boy slice into "pickle spears."
 
Then we kinda made up our own recipe from there....a bit of fresh dill, vinegar, peppercorns, cloves, mustard seeds, salt, and sugar....
 
Once it all dissolved together, T poured into the jars over the cucumbers.
 
Voila!  I have to admit, we made a mistake in our recipe and did not add ANY water to the vinegar and salt solution...so at first they were SUPER tart and salty!  But I added water to the jars and now they really taste good.  In my opinion anyway...T and D do not like them. Oh well!    It was a good lesson anyway.  :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this sis and I may have to steal! Just the other night at dinner when we had one of our "what's your favorite...?" Harris said his favorite veggie was pickles! We weren't sure if we could count that ;-)