Saturday, May 8, 2010

Starting to "Get It"



This week Taylor and I had the opportunity to gather some of his old toys and books and puzzles to give to some children we heard about who sadly have no toys and whose parents have no money to buy them any. Sometimes they do not even have any food or clothes. Until now, Taylor has not really understood about kids who are less fortunate than he is. But this week, as witnessed by his over-eagerness and excitement about gathering up his toys for these poor children, he finally started to "get it." It made my heart happy. He was so generous and kept running from his toy box to our donation box with toys in his hands yelling "I do not play with this anymore, mama! Here!"

Then today, I explained about the National canned food drive and how the mailman would pick up the food and deliver it to families who were hungry and could not buy their own food. Again, he seemed to "get it" and helped me tote items from our pantry to our mailbox. At the last minute, he ran back inside and came running out with a straw. He said "here, mama - they might need a straw to drink their water!" (Notice the straw in the pic above.) Such a sweet generous heart in my little man...this week, I was very proud of his "outward thinking" consciousness. Now it's my job to continue the promotion of that idea...not always as easy as it should be...

2 comments:

Brenda Joy said...

That makes my heart happy! You prayed for a compassionate little guy & you got him! He learns it from you! Good job Taylor & Mommy! I'm proud of you BOTH!

Karen said...

Way to go, T-Man! Nothing in life will ever compare to the feeing you get from giving to others :)) I'm very proud of you & love you very much,

Mimi