Saturday, January 2, 2010

Making a Stranger's Day

So earlier today, Taylor and I were standing in line, waiting to check out, at the grocery store. A stranger, a woman in her 20s, comes up behind me and places her hand on my shoulder. I turn around thinking "uh oh, what did we do?" when she says "Ma'am, I was in several different aisles with you when you were shopping and I just wanted you to know how impressed I was with how patient and gentle and calm you were with your son. You are a really great mom!" I swear to you, I almost kissed this woman! It made me feel so good and I told her she made my day and that words like that mean more to a mother than anything else. It's true too - since I became a mother, I realize that the reason it feels so amazing when someone compliments your parenting skills is because it's the one thing in your life that you sink 100% of yourself into...your emotions, your hopes, your love, your time, your money, your physical self - every thing you have. So every now and then, if someone notices and says something good about it, well it feels like you are so happy you could fly. Of course the truth is that Taylor was just being well-behaved today and if he had not been, I am sure the nice stranger would have seen my not-so-patient side! :) For now, I have resolved to pay this compliment forward to another needy mom really soon...

5 comments:

Brooke said...

So sweet and true! The other part of that which makes me laugh is the ma'am part....when did we get referred to as ma'am by 20-somethigns!

an_owens_girl said...

I love it when someone comments me on my mothering skills...makes me feel like I am doing something right in my life (for once)!

Brenda Joy said...

You're a great Mom! SOOO glad you got acknowledged! XOXO

daddy said...

Gotta admit that you and your sister are great Moms - contrary to past popular opinion, it is not just the quality of time, but also the quantity of time you spend with your child that matters.

Keep up the good work, Babe.

Ann said...

I have no doubt that you are a fabulous mom but it is GREAT when a stranger recognizes it!